Following is a partial list of more than 100 awards and prizes that
Frances has won over the years.
- 14 $1.00 Prizes for poems, stories, and drawings (14-16
years old) Duluth Herald, MN.
- Smith-Corona Typewriter
... First prize in creative puzzle contest (about 18 years old)
- Four First Prizes for four drawings
...Wadena County Fair, Wadena, MN.
- Diamond Watch ...
...Solving some sort of puzzle
- All-Expense Cruise for Two ... One Week on Georgian Bay,
Michigan ... From Detroit Art School
... took my roommate Nancy ... for letter of some sort.
- Cock-A-Doodle-Do (child's book illustrated by Frances
Wosmek) ... Chosen by a committee of Al. Division of Libraries for
children and young people ... to be included in CARE distribution to
all countries around the world in which CARE operates.
- 17" Crosley Television
- RCA Victor Table Radio
... I like radio because: "A dirty sink.. and unmade bed.. and cereal
spooned on baby's head.. but, Ah! My voice is soft and low .. to match
the mood on my radio ... etc."
- Yankee Scribblers .. First prize for story ... The
- $1000 First Prize ... Home Beautiful Contest in Boston
Sunday Globe ... Decorating any part of one's home ... Attic
designed with under-water theme .. Sea-Suite
- Letter of the Day
Boston Yankee Network radio station
- Washer and Dryer First Prize
Better Living Magazine Design a Nursery for Better Living
(National) for "The Robin Room"
- $10 (7th prize) for Flower Arrangement contest
- All American Family Award
For an essay about her family. Experts from the University of
Pennsylvania and the Book of Knowledge Encyclopedia selected the
family to represent Massachusetts. They were flown to
Florida, with families from all 50 states, were paraded, featured on
the radio, met and discussed the future of the American family and were
eventually chosen as one of the top 10 families in the United States.
- One Year's Membership to the Armed Forces Writer's League and a
Subscription to the Armed Force Writer for The Outsider
- Panasonic Transistor Radio for Talk of the Town
- Library Edition of The Lamb Cook Book (!)
Station WORL, Boston... Daily winner in American Lamb Council Contest.
- Pink Champagne Party for 12.
- Award of Merit (twice)
Gloucester Civic and Garden Council 1993) ... for window box planting
- Second Prize for Photography
Magnolia Art Exhibit
- People's Choice Awards
Magnolia Art Exhibit ... for woodcut of mother and child
- A Notable Book in the Social Sciences and on the Master
List of three states. A Brown Bird Singing ... re-issued as
a Beech Tree paperback. It was included on the national list of
recommended paperbacks in a literacy program for teens.
- In the Space of a Wink
Was read in two segments on Boston Public Radio
- Edgar Allen Poe Award
by Mystery Writer's of America for Mystery of the Eagle's Claw
- Thunder on Sunday
Prize for short story at the Marblehead Art Exhibit
- $50 First Prize
Gloucester Daily Times ... for Christmas story ... Provoking
- $75 First Prize
For Christmas Story, Christmas in Fairyland ... Salem Evening
- Third prize for poem
Gloucester Daily Times
- People's Choice Award
Magnolia Art Show ... wood cut of girl and bumblebee
- $40 First Prize
Woodcut at Magnolia Art Show (grandfather reading to two young boys).